Butternut Squash Wilted Salad
A heartier, fall-festive salad for the nutritious-minded family.
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 6 oz. bag fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups thinly-sliced brussels sprouts
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- 3 slices thick-cut applewood-smoked bacon chopped
- 3 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- crumbled blue cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 15×10 inch baking pan with foil. Combine squash, olive oil, salt, pepper, and ginger in a large bowl; toss to coat. Spread squash in the prepared pan. Roast 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, combine spinach, Brussels sprouts, cranberries, and onion in a salad bowl.
- Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Drain all but 2 tbsp. drippings from skillet. For dressing, whisk vinegar, mustard, and additional salt and pepper to taste into skillet. Bring to boiling, whisking until dressing thickens slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add roasted squash and dressing to spinach mixture. Toss to combine. Top with bacon and, if desired, blue cheese. Serve immediately.