Green Beans with Caramelized Onions & Walnuts
A delicious side dish and a great alternative to the standard green bean casserole.
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 4 oz. applewood-smoked bacon chopped
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 1/2 lb. fresh green beans trimmed
- kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Toast walnuts in a dry extra-large skillet over medium for 3 to 5 minutes or until fragrant and lightly browned. Remove from skillet. Chop walnuts.
- Add bacon to skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes until softened and starting to render fat. Add onion to skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until bacon is crisp and onion is caramelized, stirring occasionally. Using a slotted spoon. transfer bacon and onion to a bowl. Reserve drippings in skillet.
- Meanwhile, place a steamer basket in a large saucepan. Add water to just below bottom of basket. Bring water to boiling. Add beans, then cover and steam 3 to 5 minutes or until just tender.
- Transfer beans to skillet and toss in drippings to coat. Cook over medium-high 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown in places. Add bacon, onion, and walnuts; heat through. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
To make ahead: You can prepare step 1 of this recipe up to 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature until ready to use.